Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Once Bitten, Never Shy ;)

So I was bitten badly by the travel bug after my study trip in Vancouver, funded by the Ministry of Arts, Culture & Heritage of Malaysia in the Spring of 2006. I have yet to find a cure for this bite, as I believe I had been 'infected' -- to the point of no return! ;)

To me, the most ideal is to be paid to travel.


2008: Redang Island, Malaysia --> Singapore --> Shanghai, China 

The ball started rolling in 2008 when I got a job for a TV Commercial for HSBC Bank, to film in an island off the beautiful east coast of Malaysia (you could Google: 'Redang Island'). Here's the 30-second commercial... I wish I was the one who had to Scuba dive :)


(You can click here if the video doesn't appear below)


After that, I was offered to play the role of 'Scout Finch' in Harper Lee's classic - 'To Kill a Mockingbird', directed by Christopher Jacobs, and staged in the prestigious and legendary Raffles Hotel in Singapore - a place immortalised by writers Rudyard Kipling, Ernest Hemingway and Alfred Hitchcock!

I still find it puzzling how, in the commercial above I played 'Mummy' to a 9 year old boy, whilst on stage I played the very young and naive 'Scout', a character about the age of the boy I played mum to in the commercial, all in the span of 3 months. The difference in age got more drastic from there...

Right after the end of the run of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' in Singapore, I auditioned for a corporate video which would be filmed in Shanghai. I was so thankful I got the job, which meant 10 days of filming in Shanghai (and personal waltz lessons)!! This time, I was to play a character much older than the HSBC commercial above --- Thanks to our brilliant Make-up, Hair and Wardrobe stylists!






Let me give you a heads up - This corporate video is close to 10 minutes long. Watch only if you want a laugh, or if you want to experience life as a rich missus... Oh, and how can I forget -- to marvel at the house, and/or add on more details to your dream mansion :)

My... I think I should start a whole new blog on all my filming experiences... I could write a story on each job I've done! And you'd be surprised to discover the tricks used behind the scenes! It'll give you a critical eye the next time you watch commercials or movies ;)


Next, remember how I vowed to return to Disneyland when I grew taller?  Well I saved up enough from the few commercials I filmed that year, plus the stage show I acted-in in Singapore, and I managed to fund my trip to the US! I stayed with a friend of mine Kamil Haque, who was based in Los Angeles at that time, teaching at The Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute. Together, I had what felt like 'my true Californian experience' in Los Angeles, going around town, Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills in his convertible Mustang, having the infamous 'Pinks' hot-dog with sinful fries and a large Coke, having more hot-dogs whilst strolling under the palm tree-lined boulevard of Venice Beach. The only thing missing from 'my Californian experience' was the incessant swiping of my credit card whilst carrying many shopping bags, trotting in my designer heels in Rodeo Drive..... Just look at what the media has carved in my head!!!



Kamil drove us to the renowned Hollywood Hills. Look harder, and you'll be able to spot yours truly.

* Tip of the day (that will so change your life): If you want to look good (and appear) in photos, make sure to wear something that doesn't blend-in with your surroundings...


Mmmm... The irresistible convertible Mustang.....


A sexy street-performer/body builder (fresh from Muscle Beach where Mr. Schwarzenegger used to train) 'seducing' me while we take a stroll with our burgers and hot-dogs in Venice Beach. Just to give you an idea of how it's like at Venice Beach.


Anyway, back to the severe effects of being bitten by the travel bug. 

2009: Geneva, Switzerland 

In 2009, I paired my degree in Communications with my love for Travel and tackling Social / Environmental issues, and I landed myself a job at the International Air Transport Association (IATA) in Geneva, which allowed me to travel extensively within Europe!

I find teleconferences (or in my case, a tele-interview) without video, to be a tad bit baffling. IATA is an equal-opportunity employer, hence no photos and no videos – A policy I absolutely respect! At the same time, it does make it very hard to gauge how well or badly you're doing in the interview as you're unable to see their faces/reactions like in conventional face-to-face interviews or on Skype. It can also turn out to be a little awkward especially when the three interviewers and myself are in different locations, unable to see each other to take-on cues as to who is next to speak.  It was a very interesting interview which lasted for about an hour.  My final question to them was: "By when should I hear from you?", the hiring manager told me frankly that they still had to interview a couple more candidates - from Singapore, Barcelona and Miami..... Man, too many facts can hurt my fragile heart! Hah

What came next was a Personality test, which had absolutely no right or wrong answers! Dangeroussss....  I decided to just be my good self and answered the situational / behavioral-based questions as I would handle in real-life. There really were no right or wrong answers, which made it rather intimidating. ALL the answers seemed right... It's all about how you as an individual would handle the given situations. I personally think the test is very smart, as you end up having like-minded team members, which makes working together a great joy!

About a week after the tele-interview, I received a phone call from the Human Capital department of IATA in Geneva while I was visiting some friends in Jakarta, Indonesia... Congratulating me for getting the job! I was ecstatic!

After a month of processing my work-visa, I was finally flown to Geneva where I met my landlady who turned out to be absolutely lovely... Thank god! I say that because I actually confirmed my accommodation just the night before I left for Geneva. It was kind of hasty, but I had no choice. 

This was the next friend I met -- The neighbourhood cat that calls my comforter 'home'



The core team in organising the 4th Aviation & Environment Summit I really cannot ask for a better team to work with. And this is where I cheer: "Girl Power!!"




The picture below is to show how close our department was to the runway / parking bay for aircraft.



Being so close to the runway, not only were we able to keep track of when our loved-ones arrived, we were also one of the first to see The United States Air Force One, carrying  Hillary Clinton touch down. We were however, unable to catch a glimpse of Hillary Clinton as there were probably a few vehicles acting as a decoy... It was exciting for us nonetheless! 




This is the beautiful Museé Ariana (Ariana Museum), where we chose to have the cocktail for delegates:

And the team from the Director General's department, assisting us at the Summit and cocktail reception - Barbara, Michael, Rula & Roz.



Being a psychotic traveler with copious amounts of energy, I made full use of my base in Geneva to travel in Europe, by heading out every single weekend. Moreover, the fact that I worked with an Air Transport Association where our office is right by the runway of the airport, made travelling right after work extremely convenient!

I did that for a month straight, and I was completely drained by the end of it. Travelling every single weekend right after work, for a month demands a lot! But it was totally worth it.

I shall write a separate post on my travels in Europe... Before I forget why I'm even writing this post..

So yes, as the title says: 'Once bitten, never shy'... I fell in love with traveling so much that I was shameless! Hah.. Nah, I exaggerate. I was simply attracted to jobs that require travel, and I found myself pursuing these opportunities.




2012: Cape Town, South Africa --> Beijing, China 

I had just returned from a film-acting course in Toronto, Canada in 2011 and was researching online, looking for my next gig, when I came across a notice by China Central Television (CCTV News) looking for a travel presenter. Bright neon-lights started flashing before me! I read through the job description and I had every single item on their list checked! I decided to apply for the job, as the 'call-to-action' was too strong to resist!

I conceptualised, wrote, filmed, directed, voiced and edited a self-produced 6-minute audition video on my hometown Kuala Lumpur, in 3 days. I assumed every role but the camera-person and the video-editor.

There was no news from Travelogue for about 1.5 months... In my aching heart I was thinking, probably my video was too amateurish for them, since I had no fancy-schmancy equipments, armed only with the very bare minimum - a simple SLR camera... Not even a tripod.

I consoled myself for a couple of days that probably someone else had done a better job than I did, or worse, they were much better equipped on top of being good. Nonetheless, I had no regrets as I had given my best in every sense, and there was really nothing else I could have done (apart from spending a fortune on a top-notch camera!)

So I gave myself a pat on the back and told myself to move on, learn more of life's lessons and do better next time. While that happened, I got a call from my agent for a very exciting job --  a commercial shoot in Cape Town! A notice I rarely ever hear of... So I jumped on the opportunity and went for the audition. It was a role as mummy (again, heh..) and a commercial for a baby-formula milk... But hey, it'll be filmed in Cape Town baby!!

The waiting is always torturous, and being in this line of work and lifestyle for about a decade now, I have learnt to keep myself occupied with things that will keep propelling me forward.

I got a call from my agent a week later when I was visiting a friend in Melbourne, telling me that I had secured the role as Mummy!!! I was over the moon -- A very happy 'mummy'. And to find out that the few of us had been selected across South East Asia, made it even sweeter!

Here's the video


My part was filmed in Tokai forest in Cape Town. They scattered bags of coloured leaves to make it appear to be autumn, and pumped out mist to have that mystical feel... It was really quite beautiful! Here are some still shots:



Do you notice that the boy in the pictures are actually two different boys?


They are brothers, but aren't twins. They used the face/expression of the boy in the first picture, and the body/actions of the boy in the second picture, as the first boy was too young to understand instructions, they had to use the older brother to get the actions they wanted.

While we were filming, a baboon trespassed! Everyone had to stay still to avoid aggravating the baboon. It was cool an experience filming in South Africa!


As for the role as a Travel Presenter for CCTV News in Beijing -- It was a week after the new year of 2012, just three hours before I was to depart for South Africa for the commercial shoot, that I received an email requesting for the script which I had written for my 6-minute video. I sent it at once, thankful that they had caught me when I had my documents with me before I departed. That was followed by a request for a Skype interview with the Director, Producer and Editor after I had returned from Cape Town.

A few days after our 45-minute interview on Skype, I got my final email from CCTV Travelogue. I hardened my heart to shield it from rejection the likes of: "Thank you for your keen participation but we have found someone more suitable to take on the role"........ I held my breath, opened the email.... The opposite was true - An offer letter it was!!

My heart was close to exploding from all the built-up tension and anticipation, joy, excitement and everything positive you could possibly think of. It was jackpot, and JACKPOT! Something that rarely ever comes by, and I have nothing but great-big Thank-you's in my heart!

Here's a website to my Travelogue programmes, only if you'd like to learn more about Hainan Island and Shanxi in China, and Malaysia :)

http://cctv.cntv.cn/lm/travelogue/kayli_lum/index.shtml
More on my travels, later!

xx


P/S: If you'd like to know How Travelling benefits us, and How I incorporated Travel in my life, you can read the interview I did with 'A World to Travel' - A travel site focused on round the world experiences, with inspiring stories.

1 comment:

  1. Now isn't that a beautiful memories you had for yourself,muscling man seducing you,i guess who won't,with a good looking gal walk pass me perfect height n beautiful smile. Welcome you to USA my home,beautiful California n the rest of the 49 states. You got to come back again sometime in the future,sunshine beaches is waiting for you,n i'll be the muscling man. The best to you girl.

    ReplyDelete